RED OCHRE PRESS publishes RED OCHRE LiT and BLACK&WHITE quarterly.
We also present a number of special publications throughout the year, including ROLiT NEWS, our newsletter, as well as relief-aid projects (e.g. CATEGORY 2), themed collections, chapbooks, anthologies, etc. We typically showcase the work of experienced authors, however, emerging writers are encourage to submit their works. All our works are printed.
THE FINE PRINT:
1) While our reputation is regarded among the best (our Editor-in-Chief, Mimi Ferebee, recently sat on a conference panel with the hailed Editor-in-Chiefs of the New York Quarterly, The Southeast Review, and The Georgia Review), we are a much smaller press, who recently began printing our works, and have not established a base to offer complimentary copies as of yet.
2) The latter said, contributors are not obligated to purchase copies, but should they want to, we do offer a contributor's discount.
3) Work published during the year is subject to publication within future print anthologies.
4) Editors may respond to submissions with a conditional acceptance, delineating minor edits that need to be made before publication. As the author, you reserve the right to withdraw your work should you not accept the constructive feedback.
5) By submitting, you grant us first serial rights and the right to archive your work online and in our print issues for an indefinite period of time. You are also consenting to us nominating your work for awards or recognition. You retain all other rights.
6) Any subsequent publication of printed work should note that you were first published in RED OCHRE LiT, ROLiT NEWS, and /or BLACK&WHITE.
THE BOLD PRINT:
1) Do not send—work that is intended for children; work that is obscenely erotic; work that contains unnecessary explicit language [we don’t mind curse words, but prefer them used effectively and not just for the sake of using]; work that is cliché or unoriginal; work that is fan fiction; work that is previously published.
2) We accept submissions year-round.
3) We encourage simultaneous submissions. [That being said, be considerate. Please let us know if your work has been accepted/published elsewhere.]
1) Send 1 prose piece [up to 3000 words]: fiction, nonfiction, essays
2) Send up to 5 poems at a time OR a 5 poem chapbook
3) Send up to 5 pieces of artwork [each piece must contain some speck of red for RED OCHRE LiT or be in black-and-white for the B&W series]
If you have any questions and/or concerns, please feel free to email our Executive Office Manager, Valery Michaels: firstname.lastname@example.org.
***ATTENTION SUBMISSIONS ACCORDINGLY***
James Akers, Head of Prose Staff
Victoria Johnson, Head of Art Staff
Dru MacAuthor, Head of Poetry Staff
We are no longer considering work through Submishmash. Please re-send your submissions via email.
© 2010-2013 RED OCHRE PRESS
All Rights Reserved.